Saturday 25 June 2016

Update

The challenge with making a big change in an aspect of your life that's "been that way" for 35+ years is that your body will tend to complain.  A bit!

It's now 8 weeks since the Achilles went, and I've just completed a week of running without pain.  I can still feel it lurking, and so I'm still taking 2-day or 3-day breaks here and there, but it's definitely better than it was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I haven't compromised on the shoes - I'm still using the flatter/flimsier soled shoes that I've been running with for 9 months now, despite the physio advising wedges in the heels.

I've not been to the track, and I've eased off the speed. 

The new style is still in place - feet landing nicely under the hips.  But I'm landing flatter footed than perhaps I was 3 months ago - I'm not trying to run on my toes all the time.

I chuckle when I read back through this blog.  I never knew it would be quite so hard to change running style, and the two injuries I've had (fractured metatarsal, inflamed Achilles) are classic move-to-minimalist-shoe injuries.  

But the new style just feels so smooth and light.  There's no way I'm going back to the old way.

I joked with a running friend the other night.  I'd been running 37 years with the old style, and it served me very well.  All I need to do is run for 37 years in the new style, and I'll be sorted!!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks David - a great blog and glad that you are back and still on the OyF journey. I've recently discovered the excellent events that are veterans' athletic meetings. Now that my eyes have been opened, it is striking that the faster athletes (particularly those in the 'more experienced' age categories) all have great form. Enjoy the next 37 years in the new smooth and light style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am going to agree :-) Putting wedges under the heel will possibly relieve Achilles pressure (while standing for sure, but maybe not when running). BUT it will force the knees forward, bum out, head forward - stressing the whole body. Much better to let the Achilles etc strengthen for good that destroy the knees (and run slower). The question for the physio is "If I raise the heel, how will that affect the rest of my body while A standing, B walking, C running :-) Well done David - when this is past you'll fly again.

    ReplyDelete